About academic futures
After more than 20 years working in research and research management, in 2016 I made the decision to leave the relative comfort and safety of my university managerial position and set up my own research management consultancy – academic futures I RMC.
academic futures I RMC is based in Munich, where I work closely with other experienced network partners to deliver training, coaching and consulting services for researchers and research institutions.
Dr. Thomas Koch – owner and founder
I am a research management consultant, business trainer and coach. Holding a PhD in physical chemistry from the UK, I have 10 years of international research experience and more than 12 years of work experience as a research manager and senior administrator at German universities.
I have held managerial positions at the Ruhr University Bochum (2002-2011) and the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich (2011-2015), providing high-level support and advisory services to both researchers and university top management. My professional focus covers research strategy, national and international research funding, knowledge and technology transfer, and early career researcher development.
Read my full CV
Dr. Thomas Koch
Research management consulting
Since 2016 ⋅ Owner and founder, academic futures I RMC, Munich/Neubiberg
Training, coaching, and consulting in three key areas of research management:
- Personal and professional researcher development
- Research and research funding strategies
- Organisational change processes
Leadership experience in higher education and research management (more than 12 years)
2011-2015 ⋅ Head of the Department Promotion of Research and Junior Academics, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich (LMU)
- Human resources: responsible for more than 50 employees
- Strategic development of the LMU Research Services to promote the acquisition of national and international research funding, knowledge and technology transfer, and early career researcher development
- Project coordination for the process optimisation of the management of external research funding with an annual budget of over EUR 160 million
2007-2011 ⋅ Head of the Unit Research and Early Career Researchers, Department of University Development and Strategy, Ruhr University Bochum (RUB)
- Responsible for providing high-level support and advisory services for both rectorate and researchers in the fields of institutional research strategy, external research funding and early-career researcher development
- Member of the steering committee for the Excellence Initiative and lead editor for the Research Campus RUB institutional strategy
- Project coordination for the implementation of the institutional strategy to promote top-level research, totalling over EUR 30 million
2002-2007 ⋅ Scientific Coordinator, Graduate School of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Ruhr University Bochum (RUB)
- Development, management and consolidation of a DAAD-funded graduate school with more than 200 doctoral candidates
- Key hands-on support for the acquisition of several profile-building externally-funded projects, including the RUB Research School (Excellence Initiative), the Welcome Centre for Internationally Mobile Researchers (AvH) and the Early-Stage Training Network INTCHEM (EU), totalling more than EUR 10 million
International research experience (more than 10 years)
1999-2001 ⋅ Project Scientist for the ESA comet mission ROSETTA, University of Bern, CH
1996-1999 ⋅ Postdoc, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne (EPFL), CH
1990-1996 ⋅ PhD and Postdoc, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK
Memberships and complementary expertise
Member of the training and coaching pools of several universities and research institutions, including the Planck Academy by the Max Planck Society.
Independent reviewer for structural and organisational proposals, including funding programmes of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation and Helmholtz Association.
Speaker and consultant on research management for national and international organisations, including the European Commission, the European University Association (EUA), the Centre for Higher Education Development (CHE), the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and the Volkswagen Foundation.
2020 ⋅ Certified Organisational Transformation Coach, Competence On Top
2019 ⋅ Certified Business Trainer and Coach, Competence On Top
2005 ⋅ Training Course for Junior Science Managers, Centre for Science Management (ZWM)
1994 ⋅ PhD in Physical Chemistry, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK